[squeak-dev] Does PipeableOSProcess require some finalization/clean up?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed May 16 16:45:55 UTC 2012

In a fully updated trunk 4.4 alpha image (#12041), load
OSProcess-dtl.70 and CommandShell-dtl.61.  And with the latest Cog VM
('Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.157] Croquet
Cog 4.0.2550') on MacOS 10.7.4.  If I evaluate:

-------------------------------------
v := [1 to: 256 do: [:i |
		(PipeableOSProcess command: 'echo hello') output.
		Transcript print: i; cr.
		(Delay forMilliseconds: 50) wait.]].
v fork

and when i reaches around 242, I get an error that says "cannot create
OS pipe" (you actually don't get the reporting to Transcript but...).
Garbage collection does not clear the issue (as the comment in
#register: of AttachableFileStream suggests).  With lsof, I can see
that it keeps all pipes.

Do I need to make some more calls to have them clean up?  (Or, is this
another symptom of the file open/close issue with CogVM on Mac VM?)

-- Yoshiki