[squeak-dev] Aida with Realtime (WebSockets) support released

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Nov 1 21:53:03 UTC 2012

Dne 01. 11. 2012 21:52, piše David T. Lewis:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 08:36:35PM +0100, Janko Miv??ek wrote:

>> I think it can be safely claimed that Aida/Web is a first Smalltalk web
>> framework, even more, one of the first frameworks at all to integrate
>> HTML5 WebSockets for so called realtime web apps. Realtime in sense that
>> values on the page are updated immediately when value changes on the
>> server, without needing to manually reload a page.

> I'm afraid that I have not been keeping up with web application development,
> but this sounds really interesting. I have worked with automotive manufacturing
> for many years, and being able to do real time displays like you describe
> here could be a real game changer.

I actually need realtime web app support for something similar: to
notify about some discrepancies on gas pipeline like some flowmeter
overloaded, malfunction of some equipment, some other urgent situation
etc. Those notifications will be shown on otherwise normal web app which
is open all the time at the user desktops, because it is used daily for
other tasks.

See also a similar GSoC project by Rustem Khubbatov:

  HMI (Human-Machine Interface) with Amber
  http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/mmi-amber
  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/792245/GSoC-HMI_with_Amber.mp4

Best regards
Janko