[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] now that squeaksource is back...

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:01:07 UTC 2012

On 6 November 2012 15:56, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> If SqueakSource would be made read-only even for existing projects, it
> could help "encourage" the transition to the new resources (ss3 and
> hub).

I can't speak for others, but I'd personally find that quite
irritating (and I make sure I keep my ss3 repos in sync with the ss
ones).

> But the King still needs to remain available for some time yet -- to
> preserve some of the diamonds in there which may not have a caretaker
> at this time.

More than that: Metacello has - as I understand it at least - coupled
the notion of a project together with the source of that project. In
other words, a ConfigurationOfFoo says "get these packages from this
server". That means that unless you take care in how you write your
ConfigurationOfs your source location is a single point of failure.

Dale, how complicated would it be to separate out the notion of
findability? In other words, to have the person _executing_ the
ConfigurationOf to say "look for packages in these locations" with
defaults set to {ss. latAm. ss3}?

frank