[squeak-dev] Raspberry Pi (was: Squeak Community Hangout - some notes)

Open Slate openslateproj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:43:45 UTC 2012

Actually, compiling from source is the FreeBSD way. Last time I tried, a
couple years ago, I could not compile a vm from source due to the old
version of gcc available. The FreeBSD folks have decided against bringing
GPL 3 code into the base because it conflicts with the BSD license. The vm
required a newer version of gcc. I believe that Ian Piumarta builds the
FreeBSD binaries -- which work great -- on a Linux box. So, I was wondering
if the same technique could be used to create a vm for the Smartbook.
Another issue is resources. Does a smartbook have enough RAM and "disk"
space to compile a vm? Cross compiling on a full-sized desktop seems like a
more practical solution.

As for all those inexpensive tablets and smartbooks, yes, the price is
attractive, but a self-made client will give students many opportunities
for Project Based Learning. When I was in school we had wood and Home-Ec.
Time to replace those with computer maintenance and network management. No
better way to learn how a compter works than to build one.

--
Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project