[squeak-dev] Problems with CogVM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 21:05:41 UTC 2012

On 28 November 2012 21:55, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
<casimiro.barreto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm usually running squeak using stackVM (which I compiled to suit my
> needs). But I just crashed against an old problem. Yesterday I gave
> Athens (pharo) a try. Pharo runs under CogVM and as I use Fedora x86_64
> and this system is a ... about gcc -m32, I either use the cogvm that
> comes along the distribution or I select one pre-built from Elliot.
> Unecessary to say that I had all sorts of problems with NativeBoost not
> being able to call the foreign libraries...

NativeBoost won't work with VMs prebuilt from Eliot. Simply because those VMs
don't have NB plugin and some small changes to VM itself to support
native code in 'NB' way.

> Then I decided to come back and try squeak with cogvm and I tried to
> suit it to run OpenGL but it fails. I think it's impossible that I'm the
> only poor mortal to have ever faced the problem of suiting FFI to
> properly run Cog in a x86_64 architecture. Have someone dealt with this
> problem???

All Cog VMs are 32-bit.  That means that you can link dynamically only
with 32-bit libraries.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.