[squeak-dev] Squeak Board minutes - 10/1/12

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:44:44 UTC 2012

All members were present: Chris Cunnington, Bert Freudenberg, Craig
Latta, Chris Muller, Colin Putney, Randal Schwartz, Levente Uzonyi

- The next Squeak Community Meeting is on 13 October. Find a web cam and
join us in a fun Google Hangout! [1
<https://plus.google.com/events/c0nfhlfod6ogn3aumsq6seda7g8>]

- We are happy to see the work on Squeak 4.4 being in the home stretch
now, looking forward to the release

- Ideas are collecting for Squeak 4.5, such as including a
full Environments implementation and removing deprecated code.

- Traits were discussed. We would like to know about Squeak projects
that use Traits for development, or about other packages that use Traits.

- Squeak took possession of a new Virtual Server from Gandi.net [2
<http://www.gandi.net/>] provided courtesy of our legal home, the
Software Freedom Conservancy [3 <http://www.sfconservancy.org/>]. The
existing Jenkins server [4 <http://squeakci.org/>] will be moved over to
the new location and expanded to manage more jobs. Those jobs will not
just be for running tests on the trunk image, but for virtual machine
compilation. It is to be hoped that having a working start-to-finish
build script that anybody can run will help to document the process and
make it more accessible to all Squeakers.

- The Softlayer server is still waiting on approval from its
legal department and is expected to arrive in the near future

- We briefly touched the subject of marketing/promoting Squeak to the
wider world. One idea is to create greater visibility for the projects
members of the community are working on, which is one of the objectives
of the Squeak Community Meetings on G+. Since we ran out of time we will
return to this topic at our next meeting.

[1] https://plus.google.com/events/c0nfhlfod6ogn3aumsq6seda7g8

[2]http://www.gandi.net/

[3]http://www.sfconservancy.org/

[4]http://squeakci.org/