[squeak-dev] ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display and Information System) and traits

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:56:42 UTC 2012

On 03-10-2012 21:46, H. Hirzel wrote:
> On 10/3/12, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <casimiro.barreto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02-10-2012 10:44, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> - Traits were discussed. We would like to know about Squeak projects
>>> that use Traits for development, or about other packages that use Traits.
>>>
>> In my current project (a squeak written ECDIS) I'm using traits to deal
>> with geographic calculations (distances, bearings, etc... etc... etc...).
>>> (...)
> Casimiro
>
> This is interesting. Would it be possible to tell us more about your work?
At the moment I'm  developing an instructor console for a bridge
simulator devised to train masters of harbour and candidates to this
position wishing to work in RJ harbour (merchant ships). The idea is
that the instructor must be able to design exercises over IHO S-57
charts presented following IHO S-52 standard (ECDIS). Exercises comprise
routes, interaction with objects and other ships, etc as well as
following the progress of the approach to the harbour till ship is docked.

Besides ECDIS functionalities, simulator console will deal with bridge
instruments indications as well as enable instructor to interfere with
instruments (simulating fails, false readings, etc).

As you can figure, project is relatively large and there are lots of
things to be dealt with. I decided go on using squeak because it allows
fast and clean development and gives satisfactory performance. Problem
is most of development group have no experience in smalltalk.

Best regards,

Casimiro Barreto