[squeak-dev] How to remove doIts from cganges

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 26 12:29:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 01:51:40PM +0200, Herbert K?nig wrote:
> Am 26.10.2012 13:37, schrieb Levente Uzonyi:
> >On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Herbert K?nig wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I know how to remove a version of a method from the changes file but
> >>how do I remove a doIt from the changes file?
> >
> >How do you remove a version of a method from it?
>
> I mistook the right click menu in the versions browser "remove from
> changes" for doing that.
> Actually VersionBrowser>>removeMethodFromChanges (which is what this
> menu calls) removes the method from the current change set.
>

> >P.S.: I think it's impossible to remove anything from the changes
> >file, unless you create a new changes file.
>

> So I will have to write a method which changes a password by using
> fillInTheBlank to change some objects password.
> And ditch that image and changes and rebuild it.
>
> I hoped there was a cheaper way.

The changes file is a binary file in which you can find a change based
on its offset location in the file. The intent is to append to the
file, but never modify its current contents. That said, if your
problem is some passwords that appear in doit records in the changes
file, you can probably fix it if you edit the file to clear out the
passwords, and do it in such a way that you replace bytes in the
file without modifying its length. In other words, use a binary editor
of some sort, or write something in Squeak to copyReplaceAll the
offending text.

Dave