SqueakMap ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:25:18 UTC 2012

> On SqueakMap, FWIW, I'd recommend these changes:
>
> 1. When it moves to the new server, discontinue the web access. Make it GUI
> access only. Updating the SqueakMap server as seen at map.squeak.org is
> endless, tedious, and superfluous.

We still need the web interface to do other things like creating new
Packages and maintaining Categories, among a few more use-cases.  We
cannot get rid of it yet, but the server is some of the most difficult
code to maintain -- so I'd be all for the notion of a complete
replacement using Altitude or any other web-framework.  Someone was
working on that at one point (Green-Neon).  ;)  Given Squeak's web
capability, it seems like it would not be that hard given that the SM
domain model is small and fairly simple (and could even stand to be
simplified a bit more).

> 3. Remove "SqueakMap Categories" from the "open..." menu because it's
> redundant.

+1

> Replace it with "Create SqueakMap Release" so it's easy to find
> Chris M.'s GUI app.

I think creating a Release is an operation that can only happen in the
context of a selected Package, so it may not be a simple matter to put
that on the open... menu.

> 4. Encourage people to load scripts into the "Create New Release" GUI app,
> so applications, not packages, are installed with a single click.
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6182

Yes, and to Frank's concern about HA, recall that SM has always worked
by downloading a copy of its domain model to the local machine.

There is no doubt that SqueakMap domain, server and UI need to be
simplified and/or replaced, but until someone can step up to do it,
what we have now at least works for a crude App Store.

Thanks.