[squeak-dev] Squeak Board on the #100 IM podcast

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:04:05 UTC 2012

Janko informed me that the podcast I and Craig Latta did last week on
James Robertson's blog is now up.

http://www.jarober.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=IM_100:_Squeak_Board_Update&entry=3528913543

I answered questions on a lot of topics off the top of my head. Last
Tuesday was a busy day, and so perhaps I can be forgiven for not getting
everything exactly correct. Janko added a comment on the IM forum about
Aida:

        Re: IM 100: Squeak Board Update

[Janko Mivšek] October 29, 2012 9:20:01.706

Hi guys,

Just a comment about Aida/Web presumably not supported on Squeak: Aida
is always released on VW and Squeak/Pharo. Aida is designed and
developed all the time with portability in mind. To all Smalltalks, not
just for that or another camp. We'd like that Smalltalkers as such a
small community unite, not divide ourselves!

In last year or two Aida is always ported and tested on Pharo first. It
is true that previous version of Aida was ported but not tested on
Squeak, because previous Pharo ports worked on Squeak automatically. Yet
on latest Squeak 4.2 not which we discovered in a squeak.org upgrading
week Chris Cunningham mentioned in above interview. But this small
glitch doesn't mean Squeak is not supported at all! Contrary, even that
I admit I didn't have much time in a week we agreed to work together on
website upgrade, a patched Aida was provided in few days and announced
on the list Chris followed as well. So Chris, if you lost interest on
migrating squeak.org so fast, you should at least be honest and don't
spread false information around. An information you should know it is
not true.

To my knowledge Aida still isn't working on Squeak. That's pretty much
why I said that in a podcast. If it is, then that's news to me. And
nobody is too busy to say "I don't/didn't have much time in/this a week
we agreed to work together on website upgrade", which is not an mailing
list post I recall reading at the time. In situations like these its
more likely that I'm ignorant more than Machiavellian. I imagine if
Colin Putney listens to my description of Environments in the podcast,
he'll slap his forehead. Oh well. :p

Chris