[squeak-dev] getting an image file to work

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 1 12:53:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 07:57:03AM -0400, John Guenther wrote:
> I have a squeak VM that apparently works. When I click on squeak.exe it
> opens a window with all kinds of windows with titles like welcome to squeak
> 4.3, future directions, etc.
>
> I also have an image file called mediatools-v6.image.
>
> I thought that I just had to drag and drop this image file to the squeak.exe
> file and it would open and run the mediatools program, however when I do
> this I get the same window with all the other windows mentioned above inside
> it and I get an error message saying there is no content to install. In this
> dialog box there are lots of other commands (at least that's what they look
> like). I guess a sort of log of what squeak was doing.
>
> Can anyone help me out? I'm totally new to squeak. I was just trying to use
> the mediatools thing that was mentioned in a book.

Hi John,

I was not familiar with mediatools, but I think it must be this:

  http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mediaComp-teach/45

I tried downloading that image, and it does work for me (on Linux in my
case, but that should not matter).

>From your description, I think there must be something about the way you
are passing the image to your squeak.exe program that is causing it to
run your first Squeak image (the one with all the windows and tiles), and
then pass the second image (mediatools-v6.image) to it as if it were a
script file. I'm not sure why this is happening in your case, but maybe
someone using Windows can explain better.

In general though, if you start up the Squeak executable (squeak.exe) on
a command line with two parameters, the first parameter will be treated
as the image file to start, and the second will be treated as a script
file to be processed by the image. So if you think about running it
from a command line (rather than drag and drop), it is possible that
you are doing something like this:

  C> squeak.exe squeak.image mediatools-v6.image

When what you intended to do was this:

  C> squeak.exe meadiatools-v6.image

Sorry I can't say what is actually going wrong in your case, but maybe
this will point you in the right direction.

Dave