[squeak-dev] trap for dirty image works in FreeBSD

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 03:29:24 UTC 2012

Awhile back I was trying to solve the issue where FreeBSD let me
logout without exiting Squeak, and with no warning. This would cause
significant corruption of the open image. Very easy mistake to make
with Squeak open on a different desktop. To fix this I needed to
modify the VM, but I could not compile the VM source on FreeBSD due to
the GPL licensing issue with gcc. Part of the solution would involve
Gnome code, borrowed from other programs such as gedit, because I had
settled on Gnome for my desktop environment.

For my "new" box I decided to try a more traditional approach, no
Gnome and no KDE, just a window manager. Being a sucker for glitz I
decided to give Enlightenment a try. I am happy to report that in this
combination the logoff trap works correctly. If I logoff with Squeak
open I get Squeak's "save changes" dialog, and if I select Cancel
Enlightenment offers to stop the logoff.

Don't know if some enterprising VM hacker fixed it, but if so, thanks!

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu