[squeak-dev] Mantis #7695

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 01:23:05 UTC 2012

*** (Question for Bert and Josh Gargus, below).

OMG Thank You John!  I cannot review your solution but I tested it.  I
have been suffering this major problem for a long time now.  It's
awful, actually -- just working, deep in thought and suddenly -- the
image locking up seemingly for no reason.  I did eventually realize it
was due to a bug in my alarm code, but only after lost time and work.
I'm sure this was not an easy find / fix, thank you!

Maui uses alarms so I used that to test it.  I purposely broke my
alarm-code to have a DNU in it.  Without your fix, the image locks up.
 With your fix, I actually get TWO debuggers telling me the problem --
which is MUCH better than locking up.

I see all you did was fork valuing the alarm..?  Interesting.

Even more interesting, I went back to Andreas' original version of the
method (from year 2000).  When I revert to his version, I get no lock
up and just one debugger as I would expect.  It's perfect.

And this suddenly made me realize that I think Josh's change
introduced even another problem which I've been seeing and unable to
track down -- Maui messages inexplicably firing TWICE.  With your fix
having two debuggers appear vs. one with Andreas' original  method, it
sure implicates this method for THAT problem too!

*** Question for Bert and Josh:

This was introduced in Morphic-jcg.301 and Morphic-jcg.302.  The
comment for 301 says it was inspired by Berts suggestion in the
"Future Sends" thread.  I found that in the archives at around the
same time as this change, but I do not understand the discussion, nor
this change.  Could you guys please revisit this and see if you can
remember what this is about so we can fix it right?  As it is, it
really hurts.

I'd be happy to help test if necessary.

Thanks,
  Chris