[squeak-dev] Extracing author information from Utilities

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Sep 15 04:13:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> Another idea is to not try to make the new implementation resemble the old
>> one, just ensure the compatibility via the methods in Utilities.
>
> My feeling is that "Author current" should be the only place where we
> lazily initialize by asking the user. Then Author>>initials would just
> be a normal accessor, and Author class>>initials would go through
> #current. The tricky bit with that idea is that we'd need a slightly
> more elaborate UI, so let the user fill in both initials and username.

That doesn't seem to be too hard to do by checking both the initials and
the name and ask for both one after the other if they are missing.

> One idea would be to get rid of #username for now, and have Author
> objects with just initials. Then in 4.5 we we'd flesh things out a bit
> more.

I wanted to separate Author from Utilities, but if we leave #authorName in
utilities, then it won't happen in 4.4.

>> I used #name on the instance side first, but I decided to unify the two
>> sides. If we decide to drop the class side convenience methods, then we can
>> use #name.
>
> Ah, that makes sense. But how about #fullName? For me, #username
> implies some kind of account somewhere, either the "current user" from
> the OS, SqueakMap, SqueakSource or the like.

Pharo uses #fullName for what we use #initials for. If we don't want our
API to be compatible at this level, then we can use #fullName instead of
#username.

Levente