[squeak-dev] OS version on squeakci?

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:15:05 UTC 2012

On 12-09-23 11:11 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Frank,
>
> The problem is that the VMs are being compiled on an Ubuntu system
> that is "too new" with respect to the system on squeakci.org. I have
> the same issue on my own PC, which is running SuSE Linux. I would
> have expected better backward compatibility on Linux systems, but
> evidently it is not so.
>
> I am ccing Ian Piumarta, who is already aware of the issue and is
> looking into setting up an intentionally out of date environment for
> doing VM builds for Linux.
>
> Meanwhile, a workaround might be to just compile a VM on squeakci.org,
> which of course is what I do on my own PC. I don't know if the
> squeakci.org box has the required libraries and so forth, but I'll
> be happy to look into it if I can have shell access to the box.
>
> Dave
>

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 03:51:13PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Apologies if you've answered this before. What OS/version does
>> squeakci run? It looks like it's running a CentOS of some description
>> or other,
>>
>> I'm trying to write a build script for running a trunk image on a
>> stack VM, and I'll at least need to know what version it is before
>> anyone can give meaningful advice.
>>
>> In case David Lewis is reading, I'm seeing this:
>>
>> Installing Squeak-4.10.2.2614 for linux_i386 into
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm
>> tar: Read 2048 bytes from -
>> Installation finished.
>> CHECKING squeakvm
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm:
>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm)
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm:
>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm)
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm:
>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by
>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/LinuxStackVM/target/linux-stackvm/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm)
>>
>> The machine in question has a /lib/libc-2.5.so, so perhaps that's
>> causing the problem?
>>
>> The excerpt comes from [1]. The script that runs the build lives at [2].
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> frank
>>
>> [1] http://squeakci.org/job/LinuxStackVM/7/console
>> [2] https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/master/linux-stackvm.sh
Yea, I think David is on to it. This is an old system. It's Centos 5.2.
On 2.6.18-92.el5. I've had this server since 2006.
I believe David when he says that what you want to do is too new for
this OS. And on that topic there is good news and bad news.
The good news is that one way or another 1 Nov. this server will no
longer be a problem in that regard. The bad news is that this means that
Jenkins will be moving to another server. I am confident that this will
not cause a disruption in service for our Jenkins server.
So, this will not be a problem in the near future. That may not help
with this coming release of Squeak.

I'll email David username/password to the box in a sec.

FWIW,
Chris