[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Transform sends to ANSI standard?

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Sep 26 05:25:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I am rewriting packages to be compatible or more portable between Smalltalks.
> Code Critics gives the following information on my packages:
>
> - #cr, #crlf, #lf, #space, #tab, #findTokens:, ... are not part of the ANSI
> string protocol.
>
> - #cr and #lf are not part of the ANSI stream protocol.
>
> - The ANSI standard does not support #asInteger and #asString on Object.
>
> - Some collection methods are not ANSI compatible: #pairsDo:,
> #collect:thenDo:, #reject:thenDo:, #detectSum:, #valuesDo:,
> #keysSortedSafely, #new:withAll:, etc.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how to transform those sends to be ANSI
> compatible?

Is there an ANSI compatible Smalltalk implementation out there? I doubt
it. If I were you, then I'd use a compatibility layer like Sport or
Grease, instead of relying on the ANSI standard.

But to answer your question: you should check how these methods are
implemented and check if the implementation is ANSI compatible or not. In
most cases they are:

string cr ==> Character cr asString

#lf same as above

stream cr ==> stream nextPut: Character cr

#lf, #space, #tab similar to #cr

stream crlf ==> stream nextPut: Character cr; nextPut: Character lf

#findTokens: ==> no ANSI compatible method. If the argument is a single
character, then you can create a stream on the collection and use #upTo:
to find the parts.

collection collect: aBlock thenDo: anotherBlock ==> (collection collect: aBlock) do: anotherBlock

collection detectSum: aBlock ==> collection inject: 0 into: [ :sum :each | sum + (aBlock value: each) ]

#valuesDo: ==> use #do: or #keysAndValuesDo: instead

#keysSortedSafely ==> sorting is not part of the ANSI standard, only
SortedCollection is, so you can use something like: collection keys
asSortedCollection: [ :a :b | <copy the contents of the sort block here from #keysSortedSafely> ]

Array new: x withAll: y ==> (Array new: x) atAllPut: y

Levente

P.S.: My problem with the ANSI standard is that it seems more like
something that documents the common things in Smalltalks at the time of
its creation instead of a complete and future-proof base API.