[squeak-dev] Re: CI status

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 09:13:23 UTC 2013

On 30 March 2013 12:42, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've currently *ahem* negatively affected the efficacy of the
> SqueakTrunk and ReleaseSqueakTrunk builds. I'm hoping some kind soul
> will quickly reply to my earlier mail about cleanup, telling me what
> very important step I've foolishly left out: that ought to fix the
> problem. (And I'll turn it into a SmalltalkImage method that we can
> repeatedly use.)
>
> Otherwise, on a more positive note, I've
> * reimplemented the entire build process in Ruby (a far more sane
> language than shell),
> * made SqueakTrunk builds off a 4.5 image, drastically reducing the build time,
> * broken SqueakTrunkPerformance out as a separate job, with the aim of
> making debugging the current problem easier,
> * will make ReleaseSqueakTrunk use Ruby (once we're done with the
> current issue), and will maintain the illusion that nothing has
> changed, while SqueakTrunk's artifact continues to shrink.
>
> Lastly, ExternalPackages builds a base image off a fully updated 4.5
> image and runs, each in a clean image, the test suites (where present)
> of AndreasSystemProfiler, Control, FFI, Fuel, Nebraska, Nutcracker,
> OSProcess, Quaternion, Phexample, RoelTyper, SqueakCheck, Universes,
> WebClient, XML-Parser, Xtreams and Zippers. And other jobs do the same
> with 4.3 and 4.4.
>
> (I realise some of the packages will be unfamiliar: some are from
> Pharo, and some are libraries I've released and written about
> elsewhere, but talking about them here would be off-topic.)
>
> frank

Update:
* I've bypassed the current problem of a dialog popping up during
updating (I forget precisely which Tests version introduced the
problem) by manually updating past the hump, and storing that new base
image in the squeak-ci repository.
* Universes, XML-Parser and Nebraska are now cleanly out the
TrunkImage (as in the artifact produced by the SqueakTrunk job), while
the ReleaseBuilder reloads these into the artifact produced by the
ReleaseSqueakTrunk job.
* Fixed a minor bug in the Rake scripts caused by a Pharoism in
HudsonBuildTools that got cached in the target directory.
* We still have a bug in Environments, possibly two:
http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/252/ (But really, the number
of bugs we've found in the Environments code is impressively low, in
my opinion!)

Still to do:
* make SqueakMap entries for Nebraska, XML-Parser and Universes,
either using Installer scripts (expedient) or ConfigurationOf scripts
('correct').
* find the next victims for unloading. Suggestions?
* Unbreak OS X builds: I need to beat my Mac mini into having a
working cross-user RVM (Ruby Virtual Manager) environment.

frank