[squeak-dev] ByteSymbol >> #species = String ?

Bob Arning arning315 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 5 13:21:46 UTC 2013

Pretty much for that reason. #species allows some collection methods to
return a more general type if the specific type might not yield expected
or pleasant results. E.g.

#f00,var1,' ',var2,' = ',var3

would produce lots of intermediate symbols with the associated overhead
when a string result is more likely the desired result.

BTW, Andreas simply moved the existing Symbol>>species into ByteSymbol
and WideSymbol when they entered Squeak. The original use is much older.

Cheers,
Bob