[squeak-dev] Call for volunteering of build slaves

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 12:15:16 UTC 2013

We have a host of CI jobs running all in-image tests, loading various
packages into various Squeak versions and running same on various VMs.
We attempt to build the bleeding edge Interpreter and Cog VMs. We'd
like to do even more.

All this requires machinery. We have build.squeak.org running jobs,
I've donated a FreeBSD slave and an OS X slave. We don't have any
Windows slaves, and we really need several more Linux build slaves to
take up the strain of the main jobs.

Who would be willing to run builds on behalf of the community?

The fine print
--------------
As long as folk don't mind the potential security risks (Jenkins will
have the right to run arbitrary commands on the slave under its user
account), it's easy to set up.

Easiest to set up are machines into which Jenkins can ssh: they just
require a user account and an SSH keypair. Machines running behind
NATs are also fine: I have a script prepared that will run the Jenkins
slave. (Of course that means that if you want to run the slave 24/7
you'd need to set up your own rc.d/system/init.d/whatever to keep the
process up.)

Any takers?

frank