[squeak-dev] The Future of Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Apr 16 00:46:01 UTC 2013

On 15-04-2013, at 3:41 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, after years of nothing, Tim shows up with a complaint and a buzz-saw?   ;-)

More of a set of pruning shears.

> The Wiki by its nature has many authors which gives it its "messy"
> organic quality rather than the clear presentation of a single
> individual.  Unless we want to establish an overseer it will always be
> exactly what many community individuals make of it.

Since there is no practical way to have an overseer for these things we have to at least occasionally take a look and see what sort of a tangle of weeds has grown up. It's a typical problem with common property; everyone thinks it's everyone else's problem to care for it. Stuff that is dead - such as non-existent links -can be removed completely. Horribly out of date stuff can be de-linked from the main pages and put into a storage ward for possible use in organ transplants.

There's nothing terrible with having some old and out of date pages around but I'd much prefer to see them not being linked to from the 'front door'. Thinking of which, a lot of content on the non-Wiki part of the site is out of date too, including the names of the SOB.

I did a few prunings this morning on the wiki but I can't edit the non-Wiki pages.

tim
Useful random insult:- Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.