[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Xtreams's FileDirectory dependence

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 17:35:11 UTC 2013

Hi Martin,
I recently ported some of the VW fixes to Squeak, but with a fully manual
mode:
- open a VW image and track the diffs
- try to understand the motivation of changes, the implementation and
analyze which change apply or not (no UninterpretedBytes in Squeak for
example, ...)
- update VW image
- copy/paste the code in Squeak, manually correct a XT prefix here and there

Since not all features can be ported (differences in sockets/pipes etc...)
this process is fragile and somehow open to randomness, but that's what you
can get from a human ;)

Ideally, we should proceed with test driven updates, first update/merge the
tests, then the implementation, but since a test can span several packages,
that's not always easy to deal with and following the history of commits is
not that easy in VW...
Maybe a well structured feature branch/bugfix branch policy coupled with
bug reports and using git support might indeed help sifting.
Anyway, I'm still a few months back in change history, so that leave some
place for experimentation