Gradually minimising Trunk (Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-fbs.209.mcz)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 13:40:26 UTC 2013

On 23 April 2013 14:20, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 2013-04-23, at 11:55, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And updates-fbs.232 makes sure that Nebraska, XML-Parser, Universes
>> don't accidentally find their way back into the trunk image through
>> the update stream.
>

> Why is that? Why would we not want to have the XML parser in trunk? The plan was for the build server to use an image that didn't have the packages, but load the trunk map to build a full image. Otherwise, how would we update the XML package?

The plan was to remove this package, and more along the way, from
Trunk. The _release process_ would _reload_ the packages, producing
Squeak 4.5 artifacts that are apparently unchanged in functionality.
The output of the SqueakTrunk build meanwhile continually shrinks.

But if the XML package is external to trunk, it shouldn't be in the
update stream. The XML package belongs in an external, SqueakMap
hosted, package. Users can update that as and when new XML-Parser
releases are made.

But right now we don't have that. The update map keeps pulling these
packages in.

But it turns out I know less about update maps than I'd like, because
I _still_ get these packages loaded into my updated-from-a-minimal-4.5
image.

frank