ThinkPad club (was: [squeak-dev] Squeak laptop advice)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 20:04:40 UTC 2013

Hey Göran, just thought I'd drop you a note.  Always a happy day, the
day of ordering and, even better, taking delivery of, a new ThinkPad.
Just wanted to share my excitement with you because -- you sort of
opened my eyes!

You were totally right about the x220/x230's -- like a dinky stick of
dynamite!  Although I think carbon fiber is a great material for a
laptop as much as a mountain bike, I took a deeper look at the X1 and
found only ULV processor options, no mSATA capability, no battery
options, no upgradeability.  Maybe good for e-reading in a coffee
shop, maybe they should have called it ThinkMac instead? ha!  No
seriously there don't seem to be many high performance ultra-book
sized laptops at all out there.  I'm running big Magma apps, I want
power!  So with fast processor and 256GB mSATA for the OS I spare the
HD bay for a 750GB hybrid SSD drive to handle big apps.  Server power
on the road!

Ok, sorry for rambling but one more thing:  I _really_ struggled with
this choice but in the end I decided to get the heavier/bulkier
multitouch tablet version (X230t).  This is just ultra-cool tech and
once I saw it mostly works in Ubuntu, now I've got to know if it can
increase my input "connection" to Maui apps and other apps too.

Cheers!
  Chris