[squeak-dev] using reflections in squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Apr 29 20:32:42 UTC 2013

On 29-04-2013, at 1:03 PM, Dvir Faivel <sdvirf at t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> Thanks Bob! the example helped a lot.
>
> Tim, i want to change the behavior of some methods (at runtime, based on the user's decision).
> for example, if a method of class A contains the comment:
> "hello, this is a comment"
> than if B inherits from A, this method wouldn't be inherited (an attempt to call this method from an object of type B would cause an exception to be thrown).
> the reason i'm using a comment is that it doesn't affect the code.
>
> is there a simple way to add a code to a method?
> for example, to add "this is a comment" to the end of the code?

It sounds to me as if you might be better off using a pragma; not that I'm any sort of expert on how pragmas are usable in current Squeak. We use a variety of pragmas in the VMMaker code to annotate methods for the C code generator; seems to me you are wanting something faintly similar.

Perhaps an even simpler approach might be to add a method in your class B with the same selector and implement it as
 self shouldNotDoThisException raise

tim
Ornerythologists study bad tempered birds