[squeak-dev] When did Scratch diverge?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 5 22:34:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-19, at 20:41, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Hi Edward,
> thanks for taking an interest!
>>

>> I apologize if this seems like piling on. There is a lot to I18n.
>
> Dang right it's complex! Especially if one has never had reason to take much interest in it before…
>
> My major requirement is to support exactly as much as Scratch needs. I'd love to be able to be more precise but I don't yet understand enough to do that. Sure, I could hack in UTF8 & UTF32 classes from the old Scratch code but that isn't how to take advantage of what is (I hope) the more modern and better developed code in the new images.
>
> To start with I guess I need to be pointed to some basic info about how Squeak now supports i18n so that I can at least learn some of the names.

Switching to Squeak's i18n wouldn't make sense, you should continue to use Scratch's "home-grown". To make that work, I think you only need to throw out John's explicit UTF8/UTF32 stuff and let Squeak's automatic ByteString/WideString take over. You just need to find the "edges" of the system where you need to explicitly convert to/from utf8.

- Bert -