[squeak-dev] Unloading Traits

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:04:04 UTC 2013

In my exploration of the interface between Traits and Monticello, I
found that Trait class >> #unloadTraits depends on Monticello.

This is unfortunate, because Traits should be a much lower level
package than Monticello. After all, Traits implements something that
in other languages would be a language feature, while Monticello is
"merely" a source control tool.

I appreciate the desire to make Traits responsible for unloading
itself, and for Traits to be unloadable at all. Is there another way -
without Smalltalk >> #at: - to remove the dependency?

(I can kind've see a case for Trait unloading to live in
ReleaseBuilder. Kind've. But let's not make System >>
#unloadAllKnownPackages any more of a problem than it already is.)

frank