[squeak-dev] System -> Tools via Preferences

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 07:56:40 UTC 2013

One of the System -> Tools dependencies is from Preferences class >>
#browseThemes where there is a line

    aBrowser := Browser new setClass: Preferences selector: #outOfTheBox.

We have a SystemBrowser AppRegistry, so we could change this to

    aBrowser := SystemBrowser default new setClass: Preferences
selector: #outOfTheBox.

But SystemBrowser doesn't properly describe the protocols a class
ought to support to be a suitable system browser. So if someone uses a
non-Browser SystemBrowser, they might get a nasty surprise.

One possible solution is to add a #setClass:selector: (or rather,
#browseClass:selector:) method to SystemBrowser. That would make the
protocol a bit more explicit.

Thoughts?

frank