[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-fbs.586.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 18:09:03 UTC 2013

On 12 August 2013 16:42, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 2013-08-12, at 14:53, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
>>  checkForUpdates
>>       | availableUpdate updateServer |
>>       World
>>               ifNotNil: [
>>                       World install.
>>                       ActiveHand position: 100 at 100].
>> -     HTTPClient isRunningInBrowser
>> -             ifFalse: [^self processUpdates].
>>       availableUpdate := (AbstractLauncher extractParameters
>>               at: 'UPDATE'
>>               ifAbsent: [''] ) asInteger.
>>       availableUpdate
>>               ifNil: [^false].
>>       updateServer := AbstractLauncher extractParameters
>>               at: 'UPDATESERVER'
>>               ifAbsent: [AbstractLauncher extractParameters
>>               at: 'UPDATE_SERVER'
>>               ifAbsent: ['Squeakland']].
>>       Utilities setUpdateServer: updateServer.
>>       ^SystemVersion checkAndApplyUpdates: availableUpdate!
>

> This change would always execute the case meant for the web-browser plugin. (this whole mechanism is unused anyway, even in Etoys, but still)

Right. I was expecting to hear that this particular change was bad. My
preference would be to rip it out completely. Or, at most, preserve it
in 45Deprecated, or elsewhere. AncientUpdateStream or something.

> Also, what's wrong with "Utilities updateFromServer"? Seems to me much nicer and easier to remember than "MCMcmUpdater updateFromServer". Call it a Facade, if you need to appease the gods of agile ;)

* I want Utilities to die. It's a mess of mixed responsibilities. Even
were that all cleaned up, it'd be a mess of mixed responsibilities
delegated to better suited places. It's Bad(tm) for modularity:
Utilities >> #updateFromServer makes System depend on
MonticelloConfiguration, which is already dependent on System.
Breaking that cycle is the whole point of this commit.

* With MCMcmUpdater >> #updateFromServer we concentrate updating in one place.

frank