[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-fbs.586.mcz

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 18:30:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12 August 2013 16:42, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> > On 2013-08-12, at 14:53, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> >
> >>  checkForUpdates
> >>       | availableUpdate updateServer |
> >>       World
> >>               ifNotNil: [
> >>                       World install.
> >>                       ActiveHand position: 100 at 100].
> >> -     HTTPClient isRunningInBrowser
> >> -             ifFalse: [^self processUpdates].
> >>       availableUpdate := (AbstractLauncher extractParameters
> >>               at: 'UPDATE'
> >>               ifAbsent: [''] ) asInteger.
> >>       availableUpdate
> >>               ifNil: [^false].
> >>       updateServer := AbstractLauncher extractParameters
> >>               at: 'UPDATESERVER'
> >>               ifAbsent: [AbstractLauncher extractParameters
> >>               at: 'UPDATE_SERVER'
> >>               ifAbsent: ['Squeakland']].
> >>       Utilities setUpdateServer: updateServer.
> >>       ^SystemVersion checkAndApplyUpdates: availableUpdate!
> >

> > This change would always execute the case meant for the web-browser
> plugin. (this whole mechanism is unused anyway, even in Etoys, but still)
>
> Right. I was expecting to hear that this particular change was bad. My
> preference would be to rip it out completely. Or, at most, preserve it
> in 45Deprecated, or elsewhere. AncientUpdateStream or something.
>
> > Also, what's wrong with "Utilities updateFromServer"? Seems to me much
> nicer and easier to remember than "MCMcmUpdater updateFromServer". Call it
> a Facade, if you need to appease the gods of agile ;)
>
> * I want Utilities to die. It's a mess of mixed responsibilities. Even
> were that all cleaned up, it'd be a mess of mixed responsibilities
> delegated to better suited places. It's Bad(tm) for modularity:
> Utilities >> #updateFromServer makes System depend on
> MonticelloConfiguration, which is already dependent on System.
> Breaking that cycle is the whole point of this commit.
>
> * With MCMcmUpdater >> #updateFromServer we concentrate updating in one
> place.
>
> But, Utilities>>updateFromServer is a facade with a purpose.  If you go
back to 3.11 or so, you'll see that does not use Monticello at all - it
used the old update server scheme  (which stored change sets).
(it looked something like:
updateFromServer
self readServerUpdatesSaveLocally: Preferences updateSavesFile updateImage:
true
)

 I can see a future where we'll move off of Montecello - not sure which
decade, but I'd be surprised if we didn't.

What if you (we?) made a new package Utilities that held these types of
items?  Or, better yet, what is a pragma was added that Utilities used to
pickup where it should forward on the commands that are needed to perform
it's tasks?

-Chris