[squeak-dev] RegEx and RePlugin (was: [Vm-dev] Re: [unix] RePlugin patch for pcre)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 15 02:43:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 09:06:59AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 03:17:11PM -0700, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> >
> > This is a patch to generated source.  Who's maintaining the image-side code these days?  If nobody, does anyone volunteer to adopt it?

> > > <pcre-compat.patch>
>
> We pulled the RePlugin in VMMaker some time ago, so the update can be done
> there. I'll try to get the patch done, and regenerate the trunk/src, by this
> weekend at the latest (unless someone else gets to it first).
>
> Dave

I took a look at the Debian patch, and it simply disables the offending
primitive, so I think that a bit more work may be needed to update to the
current version of the pcre library.

I did some searching through the Swiki and SqueakMap, and here is a summary
of what I found:

RePlugin was written by Andrew C. Greenberg. It consists of a VM plugin in
package RegexPlugin, some interface classes in package Regex-Base, and a
test suite in package Regex-tests.

An overview is on the Swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/558.

The RePlugin distribution is on SqueakMap as package "Regular Expression
Plugin". The most recent update is version 3.31, which is a SAR distribution
containing the plugin, the image support code, the unit tests, and documention.
The package is fully functional and all tests are green when running on a
32-bit VM (e.g. an interpreter VM from www.squeakvm.org/unix, or Cog if the
plugin is present).

The RePlugin is now part of the VMMaker package, so the RegexPlugin package
from the SqueakMap distribution is superceded by the RePlugin VMMaker-Plugins.

The RePlugin in VMMaker requires an update to use the newer pcre_fullinfo()
function rather than the obsolete pcre_info() function, which is no longer
present in some unix/linux distributions, as reported on
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7785.

Additional follow up required:

The RePlugin requires updates for 32/64 bit compilation. It crashes the VM
when compiled in 64-bit mode.

The Regex package needs a new home in a Monticello repository to support
new updates, and to allow Regex to be distributed separately from the plugin.

The SqueakMap registry for Regular Expression Plugin needs a new (or additional)
maintainer.

Dave