[squeak-dev] [ANN] First dirty port of Zinc into SqueakRosCore

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Tue Aug 20 19:05:51 UTC 2013

Hi Edgar,

On 15 Aug 2013, at 10:43, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First the pict
>
> http://imageshack.us/a/img844/8632/p9dl.jpg
>
> After analysis of port of DependenciBrowser gives me on this image:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16235440/Pharo-1.3-Zodiac-OneClick.app.zip
>
> I could apply early techniques of SqueakLight and use this
>
> http://squeakros.org/Pharo1dot4
>
> So my pet 15LearnSqueakRosCore4dot5-12554 could go to web and download all
> unknown until
>
> ZnClient new get:
> 'https://raw.github.com/edgardec/Cuis-CompatibilityWithOtherSmalltalks/maste
> r/Cuis-CompatibilityWithOtherSmalltalks.pck.st'
>
> Gives me same as in original .image
>
> I know stil a lot is needed, but can't resist share this with my far (and
> not so) friends

It is nice to hear that you are interested in porting Zinc HTTP Components to Squeak.

I am a bit confused though:

- what .mcz files did you use exactly ? in any case, the most recent ones can be found here http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SvenVanCaekenberghe/ZincHTTPComponents

- did you use Zodiac TLS/SSL Streams as well ? again, what .mcz versions ? and again, the latest ones to be found here http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SvenVanCaekenberghe/Zodiac

- what is the state of the unit tests ?

Like for the Gemstone port, I am willing to apply certain upstream patches if they can make your porting effort easier.

The code of both Zinc and Zodiac also lives in github:

 - https://github.com/svenvc/zinc [ I now see that you forked this repo ;-) ]
 - https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac

although these lag behind a bit.

Regards,