[squeak-dev] ReleaseBuilder

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 13:30:57 UTC 2013

On 30 August 2013 21:32, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are our plans for ReleaseBuilder?  I noticed a lot of methods
> were moved to *45Deprecated.  Don't we still need those to put out a
> compact release image or is it planned to use another mechanssm (such
> as Smalltalk cleanUp: hook?)?

IIRC (*) I _deleted_ a pile of unused instance-side methods. I've
tried to make things shrinkable through the #cleanUp: hook. IIRC
(again) I ripped most of the guts of ReleaseBuilder's cleanup/shrink
logic and pushed the bits into the various packages to which they
belonged.

When I prepare a new "shrunk trunk", I run this guy:
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/shrink-trunk.st.
You'll see it just unloads packages and implicitly trusts that those
packages know how to correctly unload themselves.

frank

(*) We really need a quick and easy way of browsing changes from a web
browser. I find it really hard to find anything through SqueakSource.
This addendum is too small to contain my thoughts on the matter :/