[squeak-dev] would it be fun to implement Squeak (and SPOON!) on this hardware?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 2 21:42:44 UTC 2013

On 02-12-2013, at 1:28 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> Tim Rowledge wrote:
>> I did that back in 1987. Well, it was an ARM1, but still.
>
> Was it really an ARM1 (BBC "tube" board) or an ARM2? In any case, you
> did Smalltalk-80 and Jon asked about Little Smalltalk, which would be a
> far simpler project..

The original ARM development machines (the ‘silver fox’ desktops) were ARM1 and then many were hand upgraded to ARM3 when they started rolling off the lines a year or so later. I had Little Smalltalk running in a couple of days on the ARM1, but you can’t call it any major triumph of engineering since it was so utterly trivial to do.

A modern equivalent, and much more useful, would be Spoon.

tim
Strange OpCodes: WFL: Wave FLag