[squeak-dev] Utilities' symbol mangling methods

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 3 00:51:02 UTC 2013

On 02-12-2013, at 2:11 PM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 14:52:59 -0600, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It should be on Symbol, not String, because we're talking about method
>> selectors, which are always Symbols.
>
> I'm more familiar with VA Smalltalk than Squeak but I think Symbol is a sub
> class of String in both.  As such the method should be on String so it
> would work when sent to a String or a Symbol as Frank's example "'foo'
> asSetterSelector" requires.

Yup; I’d stick it to String simply because a surprisingly large number of people do things like (#globble, ‘Wibbet’, self thingyString) asSymbol and involve Strings as well as Symbols in arcane nekomancy (that’s magic based on a cute cat running around a screen).

tim
Strange OpCodes: EF: Emulate Fireworks