[squeak-dev] Interaction with Sugar on Ubuntu.

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:14:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Gustavo Duarte
<gduarte at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> Following with my research, as you suggested, i checked the what
> parameters I'm passing at starting of squeak VM.
>
> I executed "SmalltalkImage current extractParameters" on a XO (where Etoys
> is working fine and on a ClassMate with Ubuntu)
>
> Te result are:
>
> On XO: http://ubuntuone.com/1e1XxvDx6v41HUOyIDUoLS
>
> On CM: http://ubuntuone.com/0NEk59zYasxeEL0sMlEjZs
>
> As you can see, on CM (Ubuntu) the Dictionary has the key-value inverted.
>
> I got an echo output from script etoys of classmate, as you can see bellow.
> Seems the passing argument is correct, right ?
>
> ECHO OUTPUT:
>
> exec  squeak -encoding UTF-8 -vm-display-x11 -xshm -sugarBundleId
> org.vpri.EtoysActivity -sugarActivityId
> fb6717c7fece5e96de49f74ead6b01110228f086 -vm-sound-pulse
> /usr/share/etoys/etoys.image   BUNDLE_PATH
> /usr/share/sugar/activities/Etoys.activity SQUEAKLETS
> /home/gustavo/.sugar/default/org.vpri.EtoysActivity/instance BUNDLE_ID
> org.vpri.EtoysActivity ACTIVITY_ID fb6717c7fece5e96de49f74ead6b01110228f086
>

> For what reason the the key-values of Dictionary are inverted ?

what's the output of ps ww PID for the running process on XO and CM?  That
should show you what arguments have been passed to the VM.  If the
arguments look screwy the bug is in the launch script.  If they don't look
screwy the problem is in the VM.

> Another thing, that could you me suggest to follow ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gustavo.
>

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Gustavo Duarte <
> gduarte at activitycentral.com> wrote:
>
>> HI David,
>>
>> You are right, the output of: "SmalltalkImage current extractParameters"
>> is an empty Dictionary.
>>
>> Many thanks for the clue, now i have to figure out, why the parameter
>> passing isn't working.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Gustavo.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM, David Corking <lists at dcorking.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday Gustavo Duarte wrote

>>> save
>>>
>>> Welcome Gustavo!
>>>
>>> I am sorry, I haven't the bandwidth to try the versions you need, and
>>> I don't know the
>>> relevant classes deeply. Instead I had a quick look at Etoys 5.0 in
>>> Sugar 0.98 in Fedora 19. You may already have tried this:
>>>
>>> Print
>>>
>>>   SugarLauncher new isRunningInSugar
>>>
>>> That should be true. If it is false, the navigator flap will not show
>>> the journal buttons.
>>>
>>> If it is false, then print
>>>
>>>   SmalltalkImage current extractParameters
>>>
>>> It should be a dictionary that includes parameters set by the
>>> Sugar launch script. In the older version of Sugar I have here, they
>>> are ACTIVITY_ID, BUNDLE_ID, BUNDLE_PATH, SQUEAKLETS
>>>
>>> If not, I would suggest a look at the python and shell scripts that
>>> launch Etoys.
>>>
>>> Have fun! David
>>>
>>> p.s. I expect your question will be welcome on the etoys-dev mailing
>>> list:

best,
Eliot