[squeak-dev] Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

J. Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Fri Dec 6 12:09:20 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

(below)
Quoting tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists)
> <juanlists at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>>

>> Morphic 3 is described at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html
>
> Excellent stuff Juan. I wonder how well we could make it work on a
> Pi. There’s a quite nice gpu wrapped around the ARM...

I did some experiments with a C program I built from the Slang in the
M3 plugin. And compiled sample programs I found online, using Cairo
and AGG. This was done for a guy who at some point wanted to build an
engine for web games to compete with Flash. The program just kept
drawing the tiger svg sample, counting FPS. If I remember correctly,
AGG was about 5 time faster than Cairo and 2 times faster than M3.
This also means that my technique was about 2.5 times faster than
Cairo. All this using a C regular compiler on a Core 2 Duo. No GPU at
all.

So, I guess it could be "fast enough" for most uses. But it uses float
arithmetic all over the place, and I guess the code would need to be
adapted to use fixed point or whatever the GPU can provide. There's a
lot of fun to be had while doing that.

> tim
> --
> An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

:)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich