Lazy Loading (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: MorphicExtras-cmm.131.mcz)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 22:41:20 UTC 2013

> OK, I see what you mean. We do this kind of lazy loading in several
> places. Every time I see it, I feel a strong ambivalence. On one hand,
> it's really easy to write, and it's really convenient, but! (b) it's a
> totally rubbish UX when you're offline. Click on something and

But, if you're offline, you won't be able to load that package
manually anyway.  One way or another, that function is unavavailable,
period.

So, what difference does it make _what_ error you get in that 1% case
of being offline if, for the 99% case (on-line), no error is incurred
at all?

> suddenly random failures happen because omigosh you're not connected
> to the internet.

I know you still don't have it on the train but persistent internet
connections are coming -- it's inevitable.  We should decide about the
future in the context of the future.

> I think lazy loading like this should be a last resort. Surely we can do better?

Why should it be a last resort instead of a first resort?  What do you
propose for better?