[squeak-dev] Logging from the Compiler

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 17:07:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 09.12.2013, at 01:10, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Move SystemChangeNotifier to Kernel.
>>
>> Really, it's something not only the Compiler NEEDS, there's also
>> ClassDescription and ClassOrganizer, and the uses are more than just
>> incidental.
>
> Well I see it that way:
> there is chance, that a Squeak-Image is locked down for deployment,
> where compiler, et. al. is absent. Kernel would certainly a package
> which would still be there, but packages like Compiler not so.
>   Do you think, SystemChangeNotifier should be loaded then or not?

Yes, SystemChangeNotifier should still be present because compiling
new methods are not the only kinds of changes it notifies about.
_Removing a method_ from the system is also a change which can signal
the SystemChangeNotifier.

More importantly though, I'd like to ask you, since you imply the
Compiler should be an optional component in the "Core", and a "Core"
image is required to be able to expand and configure itself up to some
vertical purpose from additional packages, how would this be
accomplished without the Compiler in the image?  e.g., how to get the
Compiler without the Compiler?  (Simply loading bytecodes is not
sufficient for configuration).

IOW, we need to stop ignoring the use-cases for stripping / shrinking...