[squeak-dev] Logging from the Compiler

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 18:37:22 UTC 2013

On 9 December 2013 17:07, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 09.12.2013, at 01:10, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Move SystemChangeNotifier to Kernel.
>>>
>>> Really, it's something not only the Compiler NEEDS, there's also
>>> ClassDescription and ClassOrganizer, and the uses are more than just
>>> incidental.
>>
>> Well I see it that way:
>> there is chance, that a Squeak-Image is locked down for deployment,
>> where compiler, et. al. is absent. Kernel would certainly a package
>> which would still be there, but packages like Compiler not so.
>>   Do you think, SystemChangeNotifier should be loaded then or not?
>
> Yes, SystemChangeNotifier should still be present because compiling
> new methods are not the only kinds of changes it notifies about.
> _Removing a method_ from the system is also a change which can signal
> the SystemChangeNotifier.
>
> More importantly though, I'd like to ask you, since you imply the
> Compiler should be an optional component in the "Core", and a "Core"
> image is required to be able to expand and configure itself up to some
> vertical purpose from additional packages, how would this be
> accomplished without the Compiler in the image?  e.g., how to get the
> Compiler without the Compiler?  (Simply loading bytecodes is not
> sufficient for configuration).
>
> IOW, we need to stop ignoring the use-cases for stripping / shrinking...

I am unaware of anyone ignoring stripping/shrinking, or their use
cases. I'm pretty sure I've stated several times that I understand why
people might want/need to use it. It's also orthogonal to modularity.
You can happily shrink images that have all classes in the entire
system in a single package. Or an image that has _no_ packages, for
that matter.

But like tim points out, you don't need a compiler to add methods or
classes to the system. And if you can't unload Compiler, how are you
ever going to replace it?

frank