[squeak-dev] re: Logging from the Compiler

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Dec 9 19:01:05 UTC 2013

> Strictly speaking you don’t need the compiler to add code, only to
> add code that needs, err, compiling. You can, for example add code as
> an ImageSegment (or at least you used to be able to; does it still
> work?) or via the mechanism Craig uses in Spoon.

     ...which is called "imprinting". See [1].

> One could argue that we are using the image segment / spoon code as a
> compiler in these cases, but I’d probably have to rap knuckles for
> imprecision.

     Yeah, I'd call that wrong. With imprinting, you're installing code
which was previously compiled somehow. As long as the target execution
environment at the time of execution is compatible with the compilation
environment at the time of compilation, you're good.

-C

[1] http://thiscontext.com/a-detailed-naiad-description

--
Craig Latta