[squeak-dev] virtual machine sonification

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 12:11:20 UTC 2013

I've always wondered if sonic interfaces might be a useful accessibility feature. Particularly the spatial qualities of stereo audio.

Most interfaces for the blind are centered around speaking text (screen readers,) but things like tone, rhythm, harmony, timbre, dynamics, counterpoint, and spatial orientation could have dramatic and empowering  effects. If it was me I'd actually be looking for ways to map object interactions to musical ideas.

I've enjoyed the *hell* out of your visualizations. I'm excited to see where you take this idea.

Here's my suggestion: combine them. Maybe use the Oculus Rift and some flavor of Croquet.

One place I've found that can be really useful for gathering research papers and prior good ideas is here, and if I was you, I'd ask this question there too:

Cheers!

--Casey