[squeak-dev] ARK (was: virtual machine sonification)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Dec 12 14:42:54 UTC 2013

Juan,

> For instance just he title of reference [9]  "The Alternate Reality Kit: an example of
> tension between literalism and magic." is mind blowing! Deeply inspiring stuff!

That was a very important paper and I really recomend it. Not everyone
is familiar with the role of ARK in the history of Squeak. The Alternate
Reality Kit was a simulator for physics experiments which attempted to
be a visual implementation of Smalltalk-80. Almost every concept in the
textual language had a concrete, visual counterpart in the simulator
environment. Messages became buttons, for example, and classes were
shown as little factories that could build you instances of different
kinds of objects.

An interesting thing happened: users mostly ignored the factories and
instead created new objects by using the "copy" button on an existing
instance of the kind of object that they wanted. The attempt to see if
the underlying textual language couldn't reflect this style that the
users seemed to find more natural resulted in Self. The attempt to make
Self more visual like the original ARK resulted in Morphic and Kansas.

-- Jecel