Emergency Evaluator (was: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-dtl.548.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 14 16:22:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 01:26:19PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> > > Because there has been no concrete vision/requirement for a Morphic-based
> > > emergency evaluator (EE).  EE is a relatively rare occurrence (one would
> > > hope!) and for developers only.  But developers typically use
> > _development
> > > images_ which tend to be fat, not "Stripped", and so might probably
> > include
> > > ST80 anyway..?  The cases seem pretty uncertain and so that's why I'm
> > > questioning engineering new stuff like this into the image.
> >
> > This is a bug. It needs to be fixed. It's not new functionality,
> > unless by "new" you mean "it actually works in Morphic".
> >

> By new I meant, "it works when ST80 is unloaded."
>

> > > Particularly we're at a time when I want to get 4.5 out the door, so that
> > > may be contributing to my aversion to new engineerings.  I ask you to at
> > > least consider simple stub error-handling in situations where
> > > packages/functionality would be unfulfilled.  We can fill in
> > implementations
> > > later, if needed, but at least you'll have made the structure.
> >
> > So you'll be happy with
> >
> > * move the current EE to ST-80,
> > * fix the EE for Morphic (at some point),
> > * add an AppRegistry for the EE (which is just a hook like ToolSet and
> > friends, so we don't tangle the two UI frameworks we have so carefully
> > untangled)
> >
> > ? If there's a simpler solution, I'm all ears.
> >

> I too swamped to dig in today and know.  If its small and no potential
> issue for 4.5, I probably won't complain anymore.  But, in general, I do
> hope extreme TSTTCPW will be considered for cases during the detangling
> process.  We have a dynamic programming system.  We wax about developing in
> the debugger.  It's ok to leave some things simply stubbed if there's a
> chance they may never be encountered.

Background:

The emergency evaluator is implemented by class Transcripter in package
Collections. Transcripter uses Paragraph, which is an MVC class in ST80.
That means that if MVC is unloaded from the image, the emergency evaluator
will not work.

Refering to Cuis for inspiration:

In Cuis, the distinction between Paragraph (MVC) and NewParagraph (Morphic)
has been eliminanted, and class Paragraph is used. The Transcripter uses
Paragraph (same as Squeak), and Paragraph works in Morphic.

For Squeak:

Juan's approach of eliminating the distinction between Paragraph and
NewParagraph is probably the right thing to do, but it would be a large
change, so save that idea for later. In the near term, the paragraph
initialization in the Transcripter will need to use the right flavor
of paragraph. Possibly this should be vectored through the UI manager
or the current project, or it may be sufficient to just use Paragraph
if it exists in the image, otherwise use NewParagraph. I'm not sure of
the best approach yet, but I'll try to do some experimenting with it
over the next few days and propose a solution.

Dave