[squeak-dev] Cannot update latest trunk changes

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 22:40:51 UTC 2013

On 15 December 2013 19:43, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 06:51:07PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 15 December 2013 17:28, Nicolas Cellier
>> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > When I browse trunk repository, I only see .mcd for the latest changes, not
>> > the .mcz.
>> > The update does not load these.
>> > Did something change recently?
>>
>> I'm seeing something similar. I can update to Morphic-fbs.702, but I
>> can see versions up to 705 in the repository. Trying to update doesn't
>> fetch those versions.
>>
>> One thing that might have affected this - but I'd have expected to
>> hear bug reports a week or two ago - was my changes to updating,
>> moving the setSystemVersion logic from Utilities to the
>> MCConfiguration.
>>

> Updating has probably been broken for a while. I was having problems
> with it a couple of days ago, but I had enough other problems getting
> my working image updated that I did not think to say anything about it.

It's worked well enough for me not to notice, and I only ever work on
the cutting edge. Frontierman & all.

>> Otherwise, I've played around with update-fbs.270, changing
>> Toolbuilder-Tests to ToolBuilder-TEsts, and moving it before Morphic.
>> But I wouldn't think that would break anything.
>
> I don't know the background on this, but I have a Toolbuilder-Tests
> package that is marked dirty. I'm assuming that you moved the tests
> to ToolBuilderTests and that you now want the Tool[Bb]uilder-Tests
> package to be empty. If so you may need to save the empty package
> one final time, with a commit comment explaining why it is empty.

Originally the tests were in ToolBuilder-Kernel. Instead of moving
them to ToolBuilder-Tests, the right place, I forgot that ToolBuilder
was already a sensible package, and saved the tests in
ToolBuilderTests. Chris pointed out my madness, and I messed up by
pulling the tests into Toolbuilder-Tests (note the lowercase 'b'). So
I tried _again_ and got it right (this time, I hope) with a
ToolBuilder-Tests (with an uppercase 'B').

I updated update-fbs.270 with this new package name, so if you take an
image from pre-270 you _should_ end up with a clean ToolBuilder-Tests
package. I suspect that if you had an image past -270, you'd end up
with a dirty Toolbuilder-Tests.

frank