[squeak-dev] The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Tests-cmm.1.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 16 00:43:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 05:17:16PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> The logic of SqueakSource, which sometimes involves diffing versions _on
> the server_ has not been tested with this situation.  And, we already know
> its delicate because a few weeks ago we found slow SS trying to diff a
> package with no ancestry and caught in an endless loop with growing memory.

If you recall the time when the old squeaksource.com was endlessly spamming
us with months-old repeat commit notices - the cause was related to this.
The image had gotten into a state where it could not update its repository
from disk. This was a case where someone had registered their author initials
in plain ascii, saved MCZs in some multicharacter version of the same, and
stored MCZs that had some different multicharacter version stored internally
in the MCZ. SqueakSource was getting confused about the difference between
the author as represented internally in the zip, versus the author as
represented in the MCZ file name, and probably would have been further
confused in trying to related either of these to the author as registered
by author initials. I worked around it manually and have not attempted to fix
the root cause.

If you want to reproduce the problem, the user account that illustrates
the issue is MaSa on squeaksource.com. There are a number of files in
the repository with conflicting file names and internal (within the zip)
identities for this user, and if you load those files from disk into the
in-image repository, SqueakSource gets confused.

Yes I know I should turn this into a unit test.

Dave