[squeak-dev] Why is #String->String an Alias?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:27:48 UTC 2013

I wrote:

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a picture of our state of quality (for release) in
> terms of our tests.
>
> Here are failing tests in Trunk (as debuggable expressions):
> ... snip...
>
> 5.  (MethodHighlightingTests selector: #testMethodHighlighting) debug.

Working on this one today.  The root cause of the test breakage seems
to be the fact that the variable binding for String is now an Alias,
which responds "true" to #isSpecialReadBinding.

This causes LiteralVariableNode>>#sizeCodeForValue: to bypass the
guard at the top of that method, calculating a different value than it
otherwise would.

What should be done?