[squeak-dev] re: would it be fun to implement Squeak (and SPOON!) on this hardware?

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sun Dec 22 00:20:39 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi Jon--
>
> > I just bought a Teensy 3.1 from pjrc.com <http://pjrc.com>. Its got an
> > ARM overclocked at 96 MHz, with 256 KB of FLASH, and 64 KB of RAM,
> > plus a huge pile of hardware features built in. It was $20, and looks
> > like one of those old basic stamps. Right now I'm programming it with
> > the Arduino IDE, but its another platform that would be cool to run
> > something like Little Smalltalk or Spoon on.
>
>      A 32-bit processor, nice! The next hurdle is getting the VM down to
> below 256 KB. To date there hasn't been an effort to make the VM small,
> as far as I know. Currently the VM is at least a megabyte on every
> platform, yeah?

Well, the thing you have to realize, on a platform like this (no OS, no
file system, just a bare chip), there's a lot of stuff in the VM that we
could get rid of. All the graphics stuff, file support, sockets, etc. You
would want to keep the serial port support, and probably add support for
other hardware peripherals. I don't think it would be impossible to get the
VM down to a very small size, but I've never really played with it, so I
can't say for sure.

Basically, you'd want the interpreter, the garbage collector, and enough
primitives to support a very basic class library. Plus support for the
hardware peripherals on the chip (UART, SPI, I2C, Digital I/O, A/D, PWM,
Timers, etc)

- Jon