[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] SqueakJS

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Dec 22 21:16:33 UTC 2013

> On 22.12.2013, at 19:49, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:31:35PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm proud to announce SqueakJS, a new Squeak VM that runs on Javascript:
>>
>>    http://bertfreudenberg.github.io/SqueakJS/
>>
>> It was inspired by Dan's JSqueak/Potato VM for Java, and similarly only runs the old Squeak 2.2 mini.image for now. But I developed it inside the Lively Kernel, which allowed me to make a nice UI to look inside the VM (in addition to all the Lively tools):
>
> I don't know if anyone commented on the UI, but I love the VM debugger panels
> that display and control the running VM while you use the Squeak mini image
> running right next to it.
>
> Dave

Thanks :) And there's even some stuff that's not exposed in the UI yet. I use the Lively tools to inspect the VM. Then for example

        this.breakOnNewMethod = true;

will break when the newest CompiledMethod is executed - which is your next doit.

Or, use the Chrome debugger to step through the GC:

         debugger; this.image.fullGC();

It's fun - for our sort of folks, anyway ;)

- Bert -