[squeak-dev] re: would it be fun to implement Squeak (and SPOON!) on this hardware?

Doug Jones djsdl at frombob.to
Mon Dec 23 00:53:57 UTC 2013

On 12/22/2013 03:24 PM, Craig Latta wrote:

>> Why not strip the VM down as far as possible too, and pull in
>> additional things when needed?  Just enough VM to run a minimal
>> Spoon. It doesn't have to be fast; it can pull in speedup methods
>> as needed (or perhaps even swap itself for a fancier VM on the
>> fly???).
>
>       Sure, that's the plan. I first asked someone to help with that in
> 1998. It's not hard. No one has decided to devote time to it. Now's your
> chance. :)

If all goes to plan I should be getting one of these boards by March.
I've already thought of a number of things to try out on it.  One of my
weirder ideas is to use the existing Python implementation to somehow
bootstrap other VMs on this hardware.  Not that I have any idea how to
do this...  But it's fun to think about...