[squeak-dev] Squeak on Raspberry pi

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Dec 26 18:54:07 UTC 2013

On 26-12-2013, at 7:11 AM, marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> hi
>
> I'm developing over  Raspberry pi  with squeak and i need access to GPIO.
>
> Questions:
>
> How load FFI on Raspberry pi?
> Any link,paper , advice , pdf.
> be appreciated.

To get the FFI working for Pi (and indeed other ARM *nix machines) somebody would need to write any needed ARM assembler bits to interface to the apicall and/or libffi and/or whatever the current facility is called. There is some information on what is needed in the vm sources; see http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/ and start with 00README. Probably the best place to ask more specific questions about FFI would be the squeak vm-dev list (sign up at http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/vm-dev)

It’s definitely a job I have on my list of TO DO, but not high and there’s plenty of work piled up above it so please feel free to tackle it!

It *might* be easier in the short term to write a vm plugin specifically for the Pi GPIO interface. You can find out quite a bit about the gpio programming fro mthe Pi forums and particularly from the Scratch forum where simplesi has done a great deal of clever stuff by using python to provide a connection for the Scratch remote sensor connection subsystem, and then driving the gpio from pythin. It’s certainly time there was as more direct interface for him to use.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SBB: Store in Bit Bucket